So, it's finally summertime and we are all headed out to the lake or the beach or a summer wedding...and we all want to look tan right?! I thought I'd share with you my favorite self tanner and some tips for self tanning.
Sun Labs Ultra Dark Self Tanning Spray - This is my absolute favorite tanning spray. I have tried all of the drugstore brands, Fake Bake, Clinique and Bare Escentuals and none of them deliver as good of a brown color as fast and last as long as Sun Labs. I don't always spray it on. I usually spray it on this mitt I have (I just picked it up at Ulta for $5) and apply it by smoothing it all over. You will want to rub it in slightly to make sure you have it on evenly. However, do not rub it in too much or you will sacrifice the darker color. When I first started using it I rubbed it in like crazy to make sure I had no streaks and I ended up not seeing any color.
Then after smoothing it on, if I want a darker tan I will also spray over top. Here are a few self tanning tips I have picked up over the years.
1. Exfoliate and shave just before tanning and make sure that your skin is completely dry before applying product.
2. Apply moisturizer to any dry spots on your face or body or they will grab product and you will have dark spots.
3. If you choose to spray the product instead of using the mitt, make sure you wear flip flops because as you spray, you will end up walking in what settled on the floor and you will have bright orange feet. I promise! I've done it too many times to count.
4. Start with your legs. Spray or smooth the product very lightly over the tops of your feet and your knees. These places will grab more product and look darker than the rest if you spray too much here.
5. Next, apply to your stomach, back, chest and neck.
6. Save your arms for last so you aren't smudging the product as you work. Apply lightly over elbows and tops of hands. Do not get any product on your palms or in between your fingers. If you do, wash off immediately.
7. I don't usually apply any tanning spray to my face. It always seems to sit in my pores and leave dark dots. I usually use a gradual tanning face lotion on my face. I'd rather use my same makeup shade and just add bronzer to get to my desired face color. :)
8. Stand under or in front of a fan for a couple of minutes to dry the product.
9. The color will be noticeable already if you chose to use the Sun Labs spray. With any of the drugstore brands, your color should show up in a few hours.
10. Do not take a shower for at least 12 hours after applying the product. The longer you wait, the better it will sink into your skin.
Self tanning is a bit of a nuisance but it's definitely better than risking your skin in the tanning bed. I've always loved the tanning bed and I would have owned one if I had the money! I knew all of the risks but it was so hard to care. I mean tan skin is beautiful skin right?? I even think I look much thinner with tan skin. But once I realized that I could get a good tan safely, I chose to say goodbye to those dangerous beds! If you are a tanning bed junkie, I encourage you to try self tanning and break your bad habit!!