Martha Stewart's Easy Chocolate Cupcakes
3/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt
3/4 cup of unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup of sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup of sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12-cup standard muffin pan with paper liners.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then beat in vanilla.
4. Reduce speed to low. Add the flour mixture alternating with sour cream, starting and ending with the flour mixture.
5. Divide batter among cups, filling each 3/4 full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Chocolate Toffee Buttercream Frosting
1/2 cup of solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup of butter or margarine softened
1 teaspoon of clear vanilla extract
4 cups of sifted confectioners' sugar
4 tablespoons of milk
A couple handfuls of Heath toffee bits
1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
1. In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer.
2. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add 2 tablespoons of the milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
3. Add cocoa powder, Heath bits and the rest of the milk and beat until just mixed.
4. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.
These cupcakes were delicious and 12 did not last long at the party. I should have made more but I wasn't sure how they would turn out. The cupcakes are dense and chocolately. The icing is rich and the Heath bits give it some crunch. Yummy!! Try these out ya'll! You won't regret it. :)